Sunday, May 18, 2014

Robert CRAY Band: "In My Soul"

Rating: RRRR
Label: Provogue/Mascot 2014
Review by: Urban "Wally" Wallstrom

Robert Cray Band and their latest offering to the Gods of soul and blues. It is almost more soul in style than blues this time around and Cray's voice is tailor made for this kind of music. Add to this tasteful guitar work in the old school tradition and you're in for a major treat.

"In My Soul" is the mix of Cray originals and covers of Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes and Bobby Bland. Cray actually manage to put down his own imprint and versions of both "Nobodys Fault But Mine" and "Your Good Thing's About To Come To an End" and that's definitely easier said than done. Originals such as "Fine Yesterday" is the sound of the early 70's and the same could be said about "What Would You Say". The latter such a fine and soft R&B ballad with a mere hint of the basic structure of Stairway To Heaven. Well. Not that strange considering that Led Zeppelin stole and borrowed from all the R&B classics. The superb ballad, "Hold On", goes straight to the heart and it's my very definition of classy soul (food).

I love Me 70's R&B and Soul! So what if I'm merely the beginner fan of the genre? I still have a lot to discover since it's only been a part of my ever growing music collection for a short period of time. Yeah. I know. But I'm excited about finding out "new stuff" about the oldies and going waaay back in time. And at least I'm not stuck in a special time and era or just the one style and genre. Would I have enjoyed Robert Cray and his band at the age of twelve? No. Of course not. But that's the whole point of my rambling. The Stax sound is present from the very first to the last note and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment